Saturday, June 02, 2007

Adopting Adaptogens













The hottest topic at The Herbal Symposium for me was adaptogens. The term was coined by Russian scientist Nikolai Lazarev during the 1940s while researching substances that produce a "state of nonspecific resistance (SNIR)". Seems the Cold War military wanted something to give their boys an edge. To qualify for the moniker a substance had to meet three criteria: 1) It had to be harmless 2) It had to increase broad spectrum resistance to stress 3) It had to have a normalizing effect on all system functions. Is there such a substance? Many, it turns out. And all natural, too.

There is a long list of herbal adaptogens but my first experience was with the humble rhodiola rosea. My friend Amy invited me over for some tea, a porch sit and a chat. We ate pineapple guavas and drank cupfuls of fragrant rhodiola tea. The most pleasant effects followed. I felt mentally alert and full of ideas. Everything was striking me as quite lovely. We talked for a good long time and then I practically danced home. I just felt so gently alive. It was reminiscent of the last vestiges of a psychedelic mushroom trip. High vibes. I thought maybe I wouldn't be able to sleep but indeed I did and deeply, too. This was all something because I tend to have bouts of insomnia (especially moon related) and I have always been a slowish sedentary type (I'm a zero without my java). Being hyper-sensitive, I cope by energetically holing up. What was that stuff?

Well, my other friend, Karen had the answer (herbalist she) Oh, rhodiola is one of the adaptogens, the herbs for our time. Rhodiola (or golden root) grows in barren high mountain environments and the cold regions of the world...Siberia, Arctic, Scandinavia. It has adapted and learned to thrive in the harshest conditions on Earth. The Vikings, the Sami and peoples of Siberia have used it to cope with these severities for centuries. Not surprising that this plant offers a gift to modern humanity with our unique "harsh conditions".

So rhodiola ranks up there with the many others, all with their particular qualities and subtle differences (warming, cooling, calming, stimulating, feeds the brain, the liver, etc.) so that anyone can find the perfect match. Here are some others we learned about in our outdoor classroom: ashwagandha, reishi, american ginseng, asian ginseng, bupleurum, bacopa, shatavari, coryceps, eleuthero, schisandra, gotu kola, holy basil, astragalus....the list goes on.

So, what's your adaptogen?

Photo: Rhodiola Rosea growing high in the Ural Mountains. Photo taken from the University of Lapland website.

No comments: