Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Kin

I haven't had much juice for blogging lately. Besides working daily in the studio, I've been steeping in personal history. The memorial stirred a lot of emotion as well as interest in the past. There have been boxes of old photographs in my folks house for a few weeks now and it's easy to start rummaging and ruminating when I come in from the heat. I have taken numerous "nab shots". I don't know why I call taking photos of photos by that term but I do. I guess it feels a little like stealing or cheating because it's just so quick and easy. Nab shots, whatever, are not ideal but still pretty great. When I'm sitting with dozens of poignant photos, original prints mostly with no negatives, I can't help wanting them. Some are very old and infinitely interesting. Almost all local shots. I've been gleaning tidbits from the Sonoma County Genealogy Society about some of my family history. This is the George Tyler Trowbridge clan (that's my great grandmother Alice, the pretty one sitting up on the wagon). George was a successful businessman, landowner and developer. So what's with the ratty chair? Ranch life, I suppose. There's more at my Flickr.

No comments: