Friday, August 17, 2007

Into The Desert














I just opened an email from our good friend Jay and was inspired to post it here.

My Most Dear Family and Friends,

The desert is a harsh, unforgiving environment and people who would cross it´s vast expanse do so with great reluctance.

Thousands of years ago my people crossed a desert. They did it to escape oppressive slavery. Their footsteps were guided by a pillar of fire. Each morning they gathered manna from heaven to ease their hunger. When they thirsted, water sprung forth from a rock.

Today, there are other people in the deserts of California, Arizona, Texas. They too are leaving behind oppressive poverty in search of opportunity. They have no pillar of fire to lead them on through the unmarked sands.There is no manna for them to eat and when their thirst becomes unbearable, they die. They die alone with only the drifting sands to cover their bodies

The week of Labor Day I am going into the desert with a group called No More Deaths who participate in search and rescue of people dying of thirst. Most frequently those who die are the weak- the children and the women. Last year at least four thousand people died out there. Hopefully, we can be of a little help. Right now I am in Ecuador, studying Spanish, and a headline in the Cuenca News a few days ago read: El desierto de Arizon fue mortal para Miriam Riera. So it´s real and it´s happening every day.

The cost of supporting one volunteer for one week is one hundred dollars and I am asking you to sponsor me with a donation of five dollars. In giving that, I will find comfort in the shade of your love, compassion and humanity. In that way I will not be going alone from our community. I will be walking with all the spirits of my loved ones.

I don't want to publish his home address so if any of you want to sponsor Jay please send your envelope to me at: P.O. Box 1119, Sebastopol, CA 95472 and I will forward all such to him. Or perhaps you're inspired to give a little to No More Deaths.

Photo from the No Mas Muertes website.

No comments: