Sunday, August 05, 2007

Smile And A Wink

All my thoughts and doings are still revolving around my dad though last night I was able to get some deep sleep and today feels easier. We took shifts today. Mom went in this the morning, then Rob went with me this afternoon. Dad's eyes were open but he seemed out of it so I just took his hand and talked to him a little. We got booted out briefly. When we got back, I greeted Dad and he perked up immediately. He tried to focus on me and squeezed my hand tightly. I told him yet again what's happened and where he is and all. That's because the sedation affects his short term memory. It's like "50 First Dates". We just keep telling him. We always explain the ventilator, why he can't talk because of that tube and how this is all temporary. Especially that. He gets a little watery eyed and looks somewhat relieved when he gets it. (We all hope it's out within the next few days). Today he just gazed and gazed at me. I said I love you too, Dad. He smiled. Then he winked. I said, is something in your eye? Shakes his head "no". Are you winking?! Nods yes. Dad! He even tried to write today but he's still noodly weak. He has chicken scratch kinda illegible handwriting normally so this wasn't much worse but we couldn't make it out which was frustrating. It felt great just to connect. I think we tired him out because he started to fade so we just let him sleep which is what he needs most right now. Jon and Mom will check in on him this evening. I think everyday will be progress.

P.S. Dad's altar candle is still burning on in the garden and his tomato is the grandest beauty in the bed. It's almost fully ripe so soon we will pick it.

Photo of the white echinacea in Memorial's garden.

No comments: