Thursday, March 08, 2007

Georgia

Well, it looks like a trip is finally shaping up. A Spring journey for Mom and I seems to have become a tradition. One year it was a week in Kauai, next a week in Paris, the year after that it was 3 weeks in Thailand and Bali (with family). This year it will be five days in Sante Fe. Rob, natural agent of travel he, has instigated our direction since he and the girls happened through the burb of "holy faith" a few years ago on their way back across country from DC. He's been itching to show me the lovliness of this mountain town ever since. Now's my chance.

One draw for me is, of course, seeing the landscape that inspired Georgia O'Keeffe. In fact 2007 has been declared her year by the city. Does that mean the O'Keeffe Museum will be packed? Oh well. I've seen Georgia originals at different times in the past (SF Legion of Honor, The Poetry of Things, Spring 2000 and a few at the Met in NY). It was crowded both times. Frustrating since I like to get close to work so I can sense something of the technique (see brushstrokes, etc.). Maybe we'll get lucky.

The Collector's Guide describes the city this way: "One of Santa Fe's 'personalities' is that of a passive art town; it is shyly enveloping and an oasis for those wanting to spend languid time meandering, contemplating the mountain and the visual arts that thrive in its shadow, pondering those unknowns that for decades have drawn the world's artistic people. In truth, Santa Fe is essentially an art community that does not have something for everyone." Not everyone meaning not for kids neccessarily. Who's complaining?

Well, "shyly enveloping","languid", "meandering", "contemplating", "pondering" all sound promising to me.

Image: Red Canna by Georgia O'Keeffe

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Makes me want to go on vacation.

Georgia O'Keeffe IS that wonderful. I love what she did there, especially the skulls (so raw!). And sunsets? I remember sunsets, but I don't remember if they were in Santa Fe or not.

Sounds like a heavenly trip. Have fun if you do go!