Saturday, March 03, 2007

Provoking Further

By Anonymous. Also discovered at MOBA. Yes, all kinds of thoughts are provoked here. One, what exactly makes this "bad art" ? Really, I want to know because I've seen work of similar caliber referred to respectably (i.e. outsider art). True, it's poorly rendered but it could be said to reveal an almost zen serenity and an awkward sweetness. The clumsy lettering could be betraying a refreshing naivete or maybe it's intentional and symbolic. Or perhaps it is just a crappy ass painting. Unskilled gawkiness in the art world seems to be a current fad ("evidence of the hand"). A reaction to the blemishless capabilities of a digital age? The sentiment here gives this piece away as amateur because apparently that's a big no no in the art world. Sincerity must cleverly sport a veneer of irony or it just won't fly. I guess I'm just sick of the exaltation of really bad art. At least this one is in the right place. The Museum of Bad Art.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't judge. I haven't painted anything. Which is worse: bad art or no art?